Wednesday, April 2, 2008

25th March

I remember when as a boy lying on my back on the grass, gazing into the summer blue above me, and wishing I could melt into it - become a part of it. Now I think that in those days I was really close to a great truth - touching it in fact without the faintest suspicion of its existence. I mean the truth that the wish to become is reasonable in direct ratio to its largeness - or in other words that the more you wish to be, the wiser you are; while the wish to have is apt to be foolish in proportion to its largeness. Cosmic law permits us very few of the countless things that we wish to have, but will help us to become all that we can possibly wish to be.
Lafcadio Hearn.
In this quote is a definition of what is easily attained and that which is not. We are already all that we wish to be, but strive to possess things external to the self based on the illusion that that which exists outside of ourselves is real and can bring happiness and contentment.

No comments: